Thursday 15 May 2008

How men and women shop differently...

It's fairly well known that men and women generally approach the task of shopping in completely different ways.  My wife, like many women, treats shopping as a regular therapeutic exercise which is a social activity.  She will spend hours going from store to store and walk miles between them, searching out and comparing various items and options.  Like most men, I prefer to decide on the detail of what I am looking for before setting out and then visit just one or two stores to purchase the item in as shorter time as possible.  

The interesting thing borne out of some research done recently is that when shopping online instead of in 'bricks and mortar' stores, the behaviour of men and women is likely to be reversed.  Women more often tend to look online for a single comparison or search, visit an online store and then purchase the item.  Men are more likely to spend a lot more time surfing around online looking at all the detail and assessing the various options from all over the web, before putting any items into the online basket and moving to the checkout stage.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jonathan - interesting - you know I thought the same, but in my case, the other way around. My wife is like you - always knows what she wants, and goes and gets it. I'm more like your wife, although I admit to not enjoying it...